When you get your blueberries this July, you’re bound to have some left over! Here’s one great recipe that will preserve your blueberries in a delicious syrup that you can use on waffles and pancakes, in smoothies, on ice cream–just like maple syrup, but made from blueberries!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 5 cups blueberries
– 4 cups water
– 2 cups sugar
– Six 1-inch strips of lemon zest removed with a vegetable peeler
– 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. In a pot, crush berries with 1 cup of water. Bring to a simmer and leave on low heat for 15 minutes. Strain the juice into another bowl and discard the solids (or use the solids to add a little zing to some muffins!).
2. Rinse out the pot. Add sugar, lemon zest, and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved. Boil syrup over moderate heat until it registers 225 degrees on a candy thermometer–about 20 minutes. Add blueberry juice and lemon juice and boil over hight heat for 1 minute. Cool the syrup and discard the lemon zest.
3. Pour the syrup into bottles and enjoy!
This syrup will keep for up to six months in your fridge! Make sure you order your blueberries now–just $31.00 for each 10lb box, and if you order 5 or more just $30.00 a box! Order by emailing us or calling us at 920-993-7277–we are taking orders from now until July 21st!
Thank you, and let us know how your syrup turns out!