Everyone loves syrup! From putting it on pancakes to adding it to coffee or even using it in cooking, everyone seems to be a fan of adding maple syrup to their diets.
Well, I’m here to tell you that blueberry syrup is just as good, if not better in some ways! Here is a simple recipe on how to make Blueberry-Orange Syrup for yourself.
You will need…
- 5 cups of blueberries, washed and/or frozen (we used frozen)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 orange (or clementine, cutie, or even lemon!), washed
- Peel 3 or 4 strips of orange peel with a peeler or sharp paring knife from the orange. Make
the strips about 1/2 inch wide, including mostly the orange part and not much white. Juice the orange and set both the peels and juice aside.
- Place blueberries and water in a medium-sized pot. If you are using fresh berries, crush the berries. If they are frozen, heat the berries first and then crush as they melt.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the berries and water to a boil. Then, lower the temperature to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should start to darken.
- Remove pot from heat and ladle berries into a fine sieve over a measuring cup. I used the back of a spoon to press on the solids to get as much juice as I could. You can save the solids for a smoothie.
- Return the blueberry juice back to the pot and boil with the orange peels and sugar, stirring periodically. After it boils, simmer it for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens a little bit. The colors look so pretty together!
- Once the mixture thickens a little, add 2 tablespoons or so of the orange juice and stir to combine. Boil a few more minutes until it is thickened to a thin syrup consistency. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool, also removing the orange peels.
- Once the syrup is cool, use a funnel to pour the syrup into clean jars–I used an old Maple Syrup container, but you can also use canning jars. It can store in the refrigerator for up to three months, and in the freezer up to nine!
Well, I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow–blueberry pancakes with blueberry orange syrup, and I’m going to try this in my coffee!
If you would like to try this recipe, why not get your blueberries from Apple Blossom? We are currently taking orders for fresh Michigan blueberries–just $32.00/10lb box! If you buy 4 or more, they are just $30.00. Order by calling us at 920-993-7277 or emailing us, or you can find us on Facebook @Apple Blossom Orchard and Market.
We will take orders until July 26th, and the berries will be in July 28th-August 1st. We look forward to hearing from you!
Enjoy the blueberry syrup as much as I have!